Tofu & Chickpea Curry
- 1 red onion (finely sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200 g tofu
- 1 fresh red chilli (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ lemon
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Peel the garlic, then finely chop 1 of the cloves and finely slice the rest. Cut the tofu into cubes.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, add the onion and chopped garlic, and cook gently until the onion begins to brown.
3. Add the ground coriander and cumin, cayenne and turmeric. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and half a tin of water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the tofu until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. Drain, rinse and stir the chickpeas into the tomato sauce, heat through, then add the paprika, garam masala, lemon juice and seasoning to taste, plus more water if it looks too dry. Add the tofu.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and fry gently to release the aroma, then add sliced garlic and chilli. Cook for a couple of minutes until the garlic begins to brown. Serve with the tofu and chickpea curry.